Monday, May 9, 2011

Baltimore Oriole


A striking species I thought I'd never get to see, I have seen today.


Edison, New Jersey is where I live, and to be honest I thought I knew this place and all of the species you could see here.

Today I was proved wrong by a small Baltimore Oriole perched in one of my maple trees, singing a few notes. I imitated, and before long he approached closer to get a better look at me. I was struck by his brilliant coloration, his gazing eyes, and energetic disposition, and he was most certainly a beautiful specimen.





Many times I've seen his image in books, both in illustration and photography, but never did I once think I'd get the privelege to see one.

On sight, he was unmistakably a Baltimore Oriole.

I will see if putting out some citrus fruits will keep him and any other orioles around.

Wish me luck!

Your fellow biologist, Ashley Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment